Credit Union Travel Rewards Programs: Benefits and Features
Consider researching Credit Union Travel Rewards and their numerous products the next time you’re shopping for a new credit card. Low-interest rates, 0% APR periods that save you money, and even industry-leading cash-back rates are frequently available. Because the financial institutions reinvest the income they make from interest and account fees back into the products, they offer as opposed to traditional banks, credit unions frequently provide better rates.
You must first be a member in good standing in order to open a credit union credit card. The criteria for admission vary from credit union to credit union but may include where you live, where you work, or your membership in particular organizations like schools or labor unions.
Credit Union Travel Rewards Programs: Benefits and Features
Alliant Credit Union Travel Rewards
Best for cash back: On your first $10,000 in eligible purchases, the Alliant Cashback Visa® Signature Credit Card delivers an industry-best 2.5% cash back (1.5% for purchases after $10,000). This is perfect for anyone searching for a cash-back card that is simple to use and doesn’t require tracking bonus categories or activation.
Although there aren’t many bells and whistles on this card, there aren’t any international transaction fees, which is unusual for cash-back cards.
How to join Alliant: Supporting Alliant’s affiliated charity, Foster Care to Success, is the simplest way to join the credit union. However, since Alliant donates $5 on your behalf when you apply to join the credit union, you don’t need to make a direct payment to the charity.
Other choices include of:
- Retired and current employees of specific organizations
- family members of current Alliant members
- Participants in certain organizations
- living or working in an Illinois municipality that qualifies
- 2.5% cash back on all purchases (maximum cash back payout of $250 per billing cycle)
- The first year’s annual charge is waived.
- Simple cash-back program with no activation or spending limits
- There is no cost for purchases made outside of the United States.
- $99 annual cost following the initial year.
- No introductory bonus
- No unique financing deals
- After a year, the anticipated cash back is $553.
- After five years, the anticipated cash back is $2,370.
First Tech Federal Credit Union Travel Rewards
First Tech Federal Credit Union’s Choice Rewards World Mastercard® is a well-rounded card with no annual fee, no foreign transaction fees, a terrific balance transfer offer, and a strong rewards program. New cardholders can repay debt with no interest rates for a year (then variable 13.00% – 18.00%), and there is no balance transfer fee, saving you the customary 3% to 5% fee that other balance transfer cards frequently charge.
Earn 2X points on grocery, gas, electronics, medical, household goods, and telecommunications purchases, and 1X points on all other expenditures, according to the rewards program. In addition, there is a 20,000-point welcome incentive if you spend $3,000 during the first 60 days of account setup.
Joining the Community History Museum (CHM) or Financial Fitness Association (FFA) is the simplest method to join First Tech. First Tech pays the CHM or FFA membership fee for the first year; after opening an account, you can terminate the membership with no effect on your First Tech membership.
There are additional ways to join, such as:
- The retired or current staff of a partner organization or the State of Oregon
- If you live or work in Lane County, Oregon
- Cogswell Poly-Technical College student
- Relationship to a current member’s family or home
- member of an affiliated club or organization
- No yearly charge
- An excellent rewards program for regular purchases
- Good introductory APR deal
- No cost for balance transfers
- There is no cost for purchases made outside the United States.
- Within 90 days of the account opening date, the balance must be transferred.
- Rewards anticipated after a year: $344
- Approximately $1,720 should be earned after five years.
PenFed Credit Union Travel Rewards
Best for balance transfers: If you frequently drive to work or take day trips on the weekends, the PenFed Platinum Rewards Visa Signature® Card will help you maximize rewards when refueling your car. This card delivers 5X points for gas purchases at the pump, making it our best gas rewards card.
You can earn 3X on supermarket purchases and 1X on all other expenditures, in addition to a terrific rewards rate on gas. In addition, there are no yearly fees or foreign transaction costs.
How to join PenFed: A military affiliation is no longer required to join PenFed. To keep your PenFed membership current, you must create a PenFed savings/share account with a $5 deposit and maintain a $5 account balance.
- High 5X points at the gas pump and 3X points at the grocery store
- No bonus categories were activated
- Good balance transfer special financing offer
- Fee for balance transfers of 3%
- Rewards anticipated after a year: $513
- Rewards anticipated after five years: $2,167
How to maximize your Credit Union Travel Rewards
You want a travel credit card that puts your priorities first. Here are our selections for the top travel credit cards of 2023, including ones that are ideal for:
- Flexibility, point transfers, and a large bonus: Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- No annual fee: Bank of America® Travel Rewards credit card
- Luxury perks: The Platinum Card® from American Express
- Flat-rate travel rewards: Capital One Venture Rewards Credit Card
- Bonus travel rewards and high-end perks: Chase Sapphire Reserve®
- Business travelers: Ink Business Preferred® Credit Card
Best Credit Union Travel Rewards credit cards
- Winner: American Express® Gold Card
- Runner-up: Capital One Venture Rewards Credit Card
- Editor’s choice: Capital One Venture X Rewards Credit Card
- Best for luxury travel: Chase Sapphire Reserve®
- Best for lounge access: The Platinum Card® from American Express
- Best for no annual fee: Discover it® Miles
- Best welcome bonus: Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Best for paying rent: Bilt Mastercard®
- Best for low interest: Choice Rewards World Mastercard®
- Best for students: Bank of America® Travel Rewards for Students
- Credit Union Health Savings Account
- Exploring Credit Union Merchant Services
- Credit Union Checking Accounts
- Credit Union ATM Networks And Their Features
Credit Card Features & Benefits
1. No Rewards Limit: Spend more to get paid more. Gain more until you’re prepared to redeem it.
2. Redeem Points for Cash, Travel, Gift Cards, and Merchandise: Enjoy traveling? Or do you want your money back? With Credit Union Travel Rewards, you have the freedom to choose how you want to use your points. Want more still? Shop at our Member Deals and receive additional incentives, such as up to 15 points or 15% cash back per dollar spent, when you make a purchase.
3. Just Tap to Pay: Your Credit Union Travel Rewards card allows you to make transactions fast and securely. At the register, simply search for the Contactless Symbol and tap your card against the reader.
4. Collision Damage Waiver:
When you rent a car for 15 days or fewer and pay for the rental with your covered rewards card, you automatically receive Collision Damage Waiver (CDW) coverage with your Navy Federal Visa or Mastercard. Any other applicable insurance or coverage that you may have is given precedence over the CDW coverage.
Coverage includes reasonable towing fees, legal loss-of-use fees assessed by the car rental company, physical damage and theft to the rented vehicle, your deductible, and any other qualified costs not covered by other insurance. The only people who are protected are you, the primary renter of the car, and any extra drivers that the rental agreement permits.
5. Online Services: You have more control over your credit card thanks to Card Management on online and mobile banking platforms. You can choose to:
- Report a lost or stolen card.
- Turn off and on your Card momentarily.
- Make travel arrangements so we know your Card will be used away from your usual locations.
- Request an Increase in Credit Line*
- setup of controls and alerts
- Examine your credit limit and your available credit.
- the minimum payment amount and the due date
6. ID Protection: Monitors your identification and online credit card information and notifies you if any potential fraud is found. Furthermore, if you become a victim of identity theft, you will receive expert assistance 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
7. Travel: Credit Union Travel Rewards entitles you to the following benefits:
- Trip Cancellation Insurance: If your trip is cut short or canceled for specified circumstances, and you bought your common carrier tickets with an eligible Mastercard, this insurance will shield you from non-refundable charges or deposits.
- Baggage Delay Insurance: If your checked baggage is delayed in transit and your tickets were booked with an eligible Mastercard, this insurance will reimburse you for replacing any necessary personal or business goods in your baggage.
- If you become stranded on the road while driving in the United States, Master RoadAssist® Roadside Assistance will arrange for emergency roadside assistance, including jump starts, tire changes, towing, and gas deliveries. The pre-negotiated service costs are charged to your qualifying Mastercard.
- Access to Airport Concierge: At more than 450 locations around the world, you may arrange for a personal, dedicated Meet & Greet agent to accompany you through the airport on your trip out, your flight in, or any connecting flights, 24/7/365.
- When your qualified Mastercard is used to start and complete the full rental transaction, the MasterRental® Coverage will pay for covered damages (physical damage and theft) to a rental vehicle.
- Call 1.800.MASTERCARD (1.800.627.8372) for assistance with reporting lost and stolen cards, emergency card replacement, emergency cash advances, replacing lost travel documents, medical referrals, help finding ATMs, and assistance with account-related inquiries.
Transferable Credit Union Travel Rewards point on credit cards are typically the ideal option for travelers who are completely focused on rewards rather than in-flight perks like free checked bags or priority boarding.